A large Queensland Government department was not operating with a consistent project management approach. The workforce was not disciplined in project management nor was there an established PMO to oversee and coordinate programs and portfolios of work. The executive team required a strengthening of project capability to improve governance and transparency across specific initiatives for politically important outcomes. A new approach was required for projects that ranged in size, varied in subject matter, had complex stakeholder needs and existed in a cautious and guarded culture.
We led the change program, installing a team of PMO experts using Agile principles and practices to:
- Health check the nominated projects to understand current state and design the optimal approach.
- Implement fundamental project tools and processes to better articulate projects and establish a consistent baseline to compare disparate projects and performance measures.
- Provide project management expertise to advise and support managers to develop project capability and drive quick wins on priorities.
- Coach project sponsors in governance and establish a portfolio framework to prioritise and control the work.
- Design, document and assist to recruit and establish a permanent PMO and manage the transition.
- Establish project governance structures with executive sponsorship to focus on priorities and encourage good project discipline.
- Increased clarity of project health. Allowed the business to target the right areas and onboard new initiatives.
- Installed effective tracking and transparency of significant projects.
- Established improved project management capability and practices:
- Industry standard scope, time, cost and risk management processes and tools.
- Consistent project reporting framework able to roll-up to program and portfolio levels.
- Direct sponsorship and governance involvement by the senior executive to drive the change.
- Improved on-time and on-budget delivery.
- Initiated a regular project community of practice for ongoing collaboration and capability development.
- Established and upskilled a permanent PMO service team to continue the work.